Friday, March 20, 2020

Friday, March 20th ?? 2020

As crazy as it is, I am not able to remember what the date is.  I know things are in an upheaval in the US, and they are here as well.  Currently, Liberia has only one case of Corona Virus, but because all the rest of the world is impacted, it impacts us as well.  As I reported Brussels Airline Office locked their doors and disconnected their phones.  Apparently there was a flight that was supposed to go last night, but the plane did not arrive.  The report is that there was quite a crowd of people waiting to flyand they were just a "little" upset and stayed until after 2:00 am.

This morning after learning all this news, I decided it was time to go to the American Embassy here in Liberia and see what was going on and if there was an alternative to getting back to the US.  After washing my hands (we do this everywhere we go) we went in only to receive an email address in order to contact the Embassy which we were told they would answer.  So, back to the hotel to write the email and wait.  I told Timothy he could go out to the house, but he wanted to stay with me.  Sometime later, I received a response stating they were sorry I was not able to fly, to keep  at Brussels to see if things could be worked out.  Well -- there was no way to contact Brussels.  My only alternative was to try to find a different way home, or stay until after April 19th and take my chances that the office would reopen and we would fly.

In the meantime, I contacted the travel agency we had used to get our tickets and they were able to find us a flight out at 8:00 am on Tuesday morning.  We will fly to Ethiopia and then to Chicago and Indianapolis.  It is the long way around and a new adventure for us, but we will do what we have to do.  I plan on going to the Ethiopian Airlines office tomorrow morning to confirm the flight.  You all know how much I love getting up early in the morning so this will be my challenge.  We will probably have to be at the airport by 5:30 am which means we will have to leave here by 4 am.  Hopefully we can have everything packed and get up at 3:15 to finish getting ready.  Todd Wilson, I can feel your pain!

The hotel is next to JFK hospital and we keep hearing the ambulance as it rounds the corner and down the street to the entrance.  It can be quite disconcerting at times.

Since we spent the day at the hotel, we read, worked puzzles, I knitted, and we watched an old Superman movie on TV.  Surprising, neither of us took naps.   Now Timothy is watching something similar to Animal Planet  on snakes.  Ugh!  I can do without that.

We walked around the corner to the supermarket and got fried chicken legs and plantain for supper along with some 7up and ginger ale for a treat.  Dessert was a coconut crossiant.  Yummy!

Tomorrow we plan to go out to the house, put the sewing machine together any maybe get the masks made.

Keep the faith.
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment