Monday, March 16, 2020

Monday, March 16, 2020

Well!!!  The virus has reached Liberia.  Sawsee met us at the car to tell us it was here.  Apparently a high ranking government official came from a conference yesterday and had the virus.  S/he is at the hospital at this time.  As the day went on we found many places that now require hand washing before entering the business.  This was the practice during the eboli outbreak in 2014.  It is taken very seriously here.  While we are wiping down with disenfectant wipes and washing hands, the possiblity of it reaching to us is very small.  However, we will continue keeping the safe practices.  I came prepared with antibiotic soap and wipes.

Before we left the hotel this morning we were greeted by Evelyn Toe and two more grandchildren, twins: Isaiah and Jerimiah.  These are son Jackie's two youngest children.  At first they let me pick them up and from then on they put their hands over there eyes so they couldn't see me.  After a while, they forced themselves to sleep.  It was just too funny.  I tried to post a picture on facebook but FB wouldn't let me.  I will have to try another way.

There is a severe gas shortage today so we stopped at the station and waited in line to fill the tank and two 5 gallon cans.  Total cost $70.00 USD.  Wow.  While waiting I spied an ice cream shop so went and got us all some ice cream.  Chocolate for Jeff, vanilla for Timothy and a Lime ice for me.  While they were dipping it, my eyes went to the biggest raisin rolls (at leat 1 1/2 inches tall and about 6 inches across).  They looked so good that I thought they would taste much better than bread with peanut butter and honey tonight.  Ice cream was so sweet but we had to eat it fast in the almost 90 degree heat.  The rolls were also a yummy treat tonight.

We got to the house to be greeted by Sawsee's news.  He was so terribly serious about it and wanted to bump elbows with everyone.  We did see one person in the neighborhood with a mask on.  I wonder how long that will last with this heat.

Jeff's "wife" O.Z. sent word that lunch was ready for us.  She wanted to cook.  We went to their home and had a wonderful meal of greens and rice with tuna.  Fresh tuna is so meaty and delicious.  I don't recall ever having it before.  The greens had pepper in them but not so much that I was not able to eat it.  Two helpings later, my stomach was full!  Timothy enjoyed his palava sauce and fufu.  But then he had to have some greens and rice as well.  Their daughter ate with us as well.  What fun!

Following lunch, O.Z. and I had such a wonderful visit.  I was able to give her some of the history of the family and the children to help her understand some of the family dynamics.  Then we began talking about quilting - well that lasted all afternoon.  She is not able to work at her office and is at home at least for the time being.  She is interested in making a quilt so I explained how to make a simple nine patch.  I had some pictures on my phone of one I was making so she had a general idea.
She thought it would be beautiful with Liberian fabric.  We talked about different fabrics we could put together and we were off!!!!!  It wasn't long before we were talking about going into business to create some different designs.  I am able to take pictures of placements and send them to her though facebook messenger.  Also she has a means of receiving mail so I will be able to send some sample for her to see.  We talked about going into business together in a couple of years and offer not only quilts but teaching quilting and knitting here in Liberia.  So exciting for both of us.

Soon it was time to return back to the hotel but not before we had some edo and soup granddaughter Faith had prepared for us.  And then some friends popped by to say Hello and have a soft drink. About an hour later, we were finally able to leave, but not after some more "Sugar, sugar, kiss, um, um good.

Warm showers were the order of the day, a cold bottle of water and our sweet rolls were a treat.
I also am happy about my natural pedicure I am receiving by wearing sandals and the sand rubs gently on my feet.  My skin is smooth and soft from the sea salt in the air and in spite of all my eating I am losing a few pounds.  Life is good!!

Peace and joy,
Sweet dreams.
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment