Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sunday, March 22, 2020

The news from Liberia just gets more and more interesting each and every day.  This morning I learned all airlines are shutting down services tomorrow, the markets and stores are to close at 11 am.  All this with 2 cases of virus in the country about the size of Indiana.  In fact it is shaped much like Indiana just a mirror image.

No church today, so we hung out at the hotel while I fussed about not being able to leave, having made reservations for a flight on Tuesday, and reservations for a hotel room near the airport so we didn't have to travel 1 1/2 hours to arrive at 5 am.  Then, I realized that I would save about $4,000 by staying here a couple of weeks longer.  We have the hotel until Wednesday noon, then we will be going out to the house to stay the balance of the time.  At least we won't have the long trip by car each day going and coming.  The children are excited!!!

We went out to Jeff and O.Z.'s place today to put together the treadle sewing machine we had purchased.  It was quite and interesting feat since there were no directions about the assembly.  Fortunately I had had a treadle machine when we lived here before so I had an approximate idea as to how it would go together.  We managed with only a couple of errors and should be up and running tomorrow.  I wanted to get some sewing machine oil on it before we started since I don't know how long it has been sitting packaged up. 

Tomorrow O.Z. and I are going shopping for a few more supplies to get us started.  I found a pattern for masks that I would like to to make in case they are needed or we can supply some of our friends the the healthcare field.  These have a pocket for the filter and it can be removed and the mask washed.  Thanks to all those who have been publishing these patterns.

When I told Alan and Kelly about the change in plans, Alan thought it was interesting that in 2014 we were not able to return to Liberia because of the Eboli outbreak and in 2020 we are not able to return to the US because of the Corona virus.  We just have to take it in stride and not get discouraged.

We met a new puppy at the Kumeh big house.  His name is Puff and just a cute little fluffy thing.  However he will grow into a Liberian dog  which is much like a terrier of mixed varity and medium sized.  They all look alike even to the color which is tan with maybe a few black markings.

Chuckie overcame his fear of GGrandma today long enough to accept a piece of fried plantain from me.  He would close his eyes and move forward and I would put it in his hand then he would quickly move back.  Hopefully I may win him over before we leave.

The streets were fairly empty today so we saw motorcycles racing each other down the main street of the city.  Too funny at times.  There is a lot of construction of buildings and road work going on.  The economy is bad but progress is moving forward.  It is strange to see the mix of the old remains of buildings not completed before the war and now the new buildings rising in the city with lots of glass for showrooms.  Supermarkets are growning and several of the smaller grocery stores located in the outlying areas of the city are closed.  This is an example of the NGO's living in the city with their higher salaries and the others in the other areas who do not have the income to shop at a store.  Most of their shopping is in the open air markets. 

I have really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel 71.  Our room is cleaned daily - and I mean cleaned!  Our laundry is done and folded on our bed when we return of an evening.  Always fresh bottles of water for us plus the air conditioning , television, internet and small refrigerator.  We are able to leave our personal items in the room and they are not disturbed.  Breakfast is morning is fun and filling.
Today I chose to eat on the veranda rather than in a separate dining room.  It was cool, with a slight breeze and very pleasent.  The staff is curious about what I hear from the US and they keep me informed about what is going on in Liberia and the rest of the world.

I was able to watch a bit of the Shiloh UMC service which was posted on the Russiaville UMC facebook page.  Thank you Pastor Michael Goodspeed and our good friend David Johns for setting it up for us.  It is wonderful to know there are many capable and willing people to keep things going while I am away.  I pray for all of your daily and feel your prayers surrounding me.  Each day is filled with challanges but also lots of joy and laughter in spite of the world being in chaos.

The day is drawing to a close and tomorrow will soon be here with all kinds of new adventures.
Peace and joy,
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment